What are essential oils?
Essential oils are concentrated hydrophobic liquids, in it are volatile aroma compounds derived from plants. They have other names like ethereal oils, volatile oils, aetherolea. Some methods used in the extraction of essential oils are distillation, usually by steam, solvent extraction, cold pressing, resin tapping and absolute oil extraction. Mostly from plant parts like leaves, roots, flowers, resin, barks and peels. There has been an increased interest in essential oils in recent times, due to the popularity of aromatherapy — use of aromatic plant oils and plant materials to improve physical and psychological well-being.
Uses of Essential Oils
They have been used for centuries in different cultures for health and medicinal purposes ranging from household cleaning, natural medicine treatments, aromatherapy and personal beauty care. Their benefits come from their anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties. Here are some benefits of essential oils
- Skin problems: Oils like the Tea trees and Calendula can be used to treat skin problems like fungus and blemishes like acne. It can either be dabbed on the blemishes or applied to the skin fungal infections. Calendula can also be used to soothe psoriasis.
- For relaxation: This can be gotten from Chamomile and Frankincense. Chamomile is best taken before bed. A few drops of the oil on your pillowcase can help too. Frankincense can also be used to heal minor cuts, fight depression and increase spiritual awareness.
- Mental alertness: Peppermint helps in the purification and stimulation of the mind. It can also increase mental alertness. When consumed it helps indigestion.
- Fight flu: Oil of Oregano does this. It has strong antibacterial that helps it fight cold, flu and other sicknesses.
- Detox the body: Lemon is very vital in our everyday life. It can be used to detox the body, cure acne, boost mental alertness. It can also benefit your pets by chasing away fleas.
- Keep home safe and clean: Grapefruit is like Lemon oil, it helps reduce fatigue and cushion effects of jet lag. It can also aft as an antiseptic for your home cleaning.
- Cure cold: If you suffer from allergies that affect your breathing and regular colds, you need Eucalyptus. It can also loosen up congested chest or relieve nasal congestion.
It is also known as Lavandula Angustifolia. It is one of the most versatile essential oil and is recommended for all homes. It has a sweet, herbaceous, floral and fresh aroma which is so refreshing and soothing. Below are the benefits of Lavender oil.
- Nervous System: Lavender oil posses a calming scent making it a quintessential tonic for anxiety issues and nerves which means it is utilized in treating diseases like nervous tension, headaches, migraines, depression and emotional stress.
- Bug Repellant: Levander oil is potent for bugs like moths, mosquitoes, and midges. Apply on the exposed skin or apply on bites to minimize pains and irritations.
- Pain Relief: The oil goes a long way in reducing pains especially by one caused by rheumatism, sprains, lumbago, sores and tense muscles, back aches and joint pains.
- Sleep Aid: It helps induce sleep, which can be beneficial to insomniacs. It is so relaxing, you can place on your pillow before sleep.
- Hair Care: The fact they are effective on nits, lice, and their eggs makes them useful in hair care. They also help checkmate hair loss.
- Acne: One of the best methods of treating acne. The oil helps inhibit bacteria causing acne and helps the over-secretion of sebum.
- Cancer: Though researches are still being conducted on this, Lavender oil in combination with other essential oils have been proven to help in cancer cure.